PPC Analysis is the major aspect to design a campaign for the client. In the process of PPC analysis, you can know the base of your campaign like PPC keywords, daily budgets, cost per click, daily traffic and how well one can make it a top PPC campaign.
Step 1: Understanding the client’s business requirements?
In PPC Analysis, the foremost requisite is to do a thorough analysis of the client’s business, website and its requirements.
Step 2: Collection of Keywords:
The most important and efficient part of PPC analysis is to collect keywords relevant to client’s business. There are many methods by which the keywords are collected:
- Collection of keywords from the Meta tags available on client’s website view source.
- Collection of keywords from the competitors website
- Manual Collection of keywords from understanding the business of the client
- Collection of keywords based on the information provided in the questionnaire
- Last but not the least, collection of keywords with the help of the keywords tools available online like:
The above mentioned keyword tools provide the monthly search volume for the collected keywords.
Step 3: To find out keywords searches:
In the PPC Analysis, it is possible to find out the number of searches that each keyword performs for a month by usage of Google AdWords Keyword Tool (https://adwords.google.com/select/KeywordToolExternal). Also in this stage, an average search volume can be determined by using this tool which provides the searches for Google.
To find out the total search volume that the keywords would generate in Yahoo and MSN, the following formula is used:
Yahoo searches = (1/3) of Google searches
MSN searches = (1/3) of Yahoo searches
Total Searches = Google Searches + Yahoo Searches + MSN Searches
Step 4: Categorize Keywords
After collecting keywords that are unique, they are tested for frequency and capacity for each keyword search; the keywords are then to be formed further into three categories:
- The first category persists if the client has a brand name and image in the market. The keywords related to the brand mark are called branded keywords. All the branded keywords are moved to the branded keywords category.
- The second category is High Volume Keywords, the keywords which have high volume searches. All the keywords which have high searches are moved to this category.
- The third category is low Volume Keywords, the keywords which have low searches. Al the keywords which have low searches are moved to this category.
Each category requires a minimum of 30 to 40 keywords to generate in each category depending upon the requirement. The remaining keywords and searches are listed in adjacent sheet named “Keywords”.
Step 5: Setting bids for keywords
The most important aspect in PPC analysis is setting bids for the keywords. The process of setting the bids is done through Google Traffic Estimator Tool – (https://adwords.google.com/select/TrafficEstimatorSandbox). The tool finds out each keyword’s average Cost per click, for which one needs to provide the list of keywords and select the language and country.
Usually, if the keywords are generic keywords, take the average CPC for 3rd position. If the keywords are branded keywords, take the average CPC for 1st position and if the tool doesn’t provide the average CPC for a particular keyword, then take it even low bid.
Step 6: Calculations based on CTR and Conversions rates
The ultimate process of analysis is taking the CTR & Conversion rate based on past experience on the same domain or if it is a new domain tries it with taking the industry standards. Sometimes client also provides the metrics based on previous run rates. Based on the CTR and conversion rate; Clicks, Cost and Conversions are calculated.